Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Leave the Olympics alone ...

Leave the Olympics alone ...

I can understand the desire to protest against the China over Tibet. I agree with the notion of a free Tibet. The Chinese government is oppressive. It is clear that the upcoming 2008 Olympics and current torch run are opportune times to draw attention to causes ...

The key word is opportunistic.

I am tired of opportunism.

Leave the Olympics alone ...

In 2002 I watched the Salt Lake City opening ceremonies and President Bush sitting with the athletes. The past several Olympics have had that same opportunity to be about the games. It seemed like the over-politicizing of the games had finally passed.

It is clear that we are not learning the lessons of the past boycotts ... that the boycotts do little to bring about change and only serve to taint the accomplishment of the athletes. A cloud follows around the winners. The games are about everyone getting together in spite of differences. Yes, the Olympics are commercialized and can be used for propaganda, but that doesn't make it right. We have five days of the right time and place to go over this in Seattle this month with the Seeds of Compassion. That is where the energy should be directed. Stopping a torch does nothing but make me wish people would think about the context in which they are choosing to protest.

So, leave the politics to the political arena and stop calling for boycotts of opening ceremonies ... Mr. President, I am not a fan of your tendency to go it alone ... but this is one time where I hope you do. Resist the urge and pressure to turn anything about the Olympics into something other than being about the athletes. Tell the world that the Olympics don't need this and that it is just about sport.

I have absolute sympathy for the Tibetan people. This weekend I will have the opportunity to hear the Dalai Lama speak in person. And, yes I know that protests are legal and whatnot. Trust, I am not calling for censorship or arrests. I am simply calling for context and timing. Any bold claims the Chinese government makes during the games can be analyzed, dissected, and countered at the appropriate time and in the appropriate context. If they are opportunistic, they should be called on it.

But, if I was an athlete and was being pressured to skip the opening ceremony ... I would tell people who I sympathize with one simple word. No. The athletes earned the right to enjoy the entire experience. The fact that the Olympics happen to be in Beijing should not keep someone from feeling guilty about the trip and experience. I feel the same about 2012 in London and 2010 in Vancouver.

I also do not intend to protest at the Mexico versus China soccer game here in Seattle next week. These games are supposed to be where we play and get together in spite of those differences.

Everyone, stop being so opportunistic ...

Let the athletes compete without the protests ... that includes the big parties at the beginning and end and the torch run around the world.

Let's keep politics out of this.

Leave the Olympics alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment