Friday, April 17, 2009

The answer to THE question of 1992 is ... (The Scarecrow Effect - Snippet 1)

The following is something I wrote that got incorporated into the first part of The Scarecrow Effect; at least at this point as a work in progress. In fact, it was one of the first things I wrote that led me to realize that I could take some of these recent writing snippets and turn them into something.

Double Briefs

In answer to the question that signaled that the dumbing down of America had truly infiltrated our political discourse ...

Briefs.

No.

Double briefs.

Allow me to explain.

It was an absolute WTF? moment.

I staggered out of the shower, dropped my towel - it is safer to drop your towel away from an open window (but that is a story for another day) - and pulled out a pair of briefs and started getting dressed. Noticing my towel next to me and deciding my hair was still too wet, I picked back up the towel and scrubbed my head dry. Sometimes having really short hair is handy that way. At least, I must have done that. See, I was so groggy that is sort of what i remember doing. Not much of it comes through the fog of that morning.

You know how sometimes a drunken binge is remembered better years later? I hope to have a moment of lucidity about this in the future to try and sort it out.

Before I knew it I had a tee shirt over my and and one sock on when something seemed off. Something didn't fit.

The shirt wasn't inside out and I double checked that.

I only had one sock on, but that was hardly a problem.

I patted my hips.

That was it.

There was too much padding there and I am not overweight.

Somehow, in that thirty-some-seconds-ish period I had managed to not notice that I had put on a second pair of briefs.

How #*(%ing groggy and out of it was I?

It snapped me awake.

I actually looked around to see if anyone noticed, yet I live alone at this point and the drapes were closed. I double checked.

That feeling you get when you are tired but stunned? That tingly nauseous one that lingers through a day? Sort of like that.

The problem was solved quickly, pants were put on and the entire day was marred by the incident.

I staggered through that morning. Not being a morning person to begin with, this was compounding a recurrent theme.

There had been no tequila the night before.



The story sort of kicks in from there and discusses the path the main character is taking. Any snippets I put on this blog about the book will be incomplete like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment