Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Library manners ...

Okay ... some talking in the library is okay.

I talk to my kids about their "library voices".

There are signs informing people that cell phone use is not allowed. The one by my computer terminal today at the Shoreline library had a picture of a phone with a red circle and line so it is not necessary to be able to read to know this.

And yet ... there was a guy on the phone getting talked through a web search.

Now, let me tell you what I mean about "getting talked through" here.

For over half an hour, he was loud enough that I could hear him over my headphones with the volume cranked, even though he was around the corner on the other side of an aisle facing a wall. My hearing sucks too.

Other people were glaring his direction. More and more people put on headphones.

A guy shelving books - aka a library employee - was between him and me and did nothing to quiet him. I saw a couple people get up and leave.

As I left to go back to work there was a kid screaming near the door and some other guy being really loud near the magazines. This was the loudest library I have ever walked through.

Library manners anyone?