Wednesday, April 15, 2009

It's like I was at the Boston Tea Party ...

... okay not really.

But, for the first time EVER I have waited until April 15th to file my taxes.

Also, for the first time EVER I have to pay.

See, even though I make $#!+ money as a substitute teacher, some of my employers consider me to be a contract worker and so I have to pay "self employment tax" on top of regular income tax. And, since the kids don't live with me; even though I pay a quarter of my income in child support and have to rent a bigger apartment for when they are with me I don't get to claim them or get any of the tax benefits. Plus, being single and not married I am taxed at a higher rate.

Not only is this the first year I have waited until April 15th, but it is just about the 2nd or 3rd time I haven't had the taxes in the mail the first week of April. Typically I laugh at all the late filers scrambling to get their taxes done when I already have my refund weeks earlier.

They don't pay interest on tax funds they hold all year, they can wait til the last minute to get mine.