Saturday, January 12, 2008

Finishing a long series ...

Finishing a long series ...

I hesitate now ... my reading list is long and my reading time is somewhat limited. So, I see a book by an author I like or that looks interesting or that is recomended to me and I am uncertain ....

I have read the entire Harry Potter series, the Jack Whyte Camalud Chronicles, the Artemis Fowl books, Jean Auel's Earth Children ... and if more books in those ever came along I would read them so that I would keep up. But, there lies the problem, do I really want to start a new series given that there are so many books I want to read?

I like self-contained stories. However, the publishing industry likes series for some really good reasons that are simply obvious as those are the same reasons that Hollywood makes sequels. So, I hesitate.

I have read some first books of series and really liked them. Books like Redwall or the vampire series of Kim Anderson. Ringo likes the Pendragon books so I read the first book. For shorter or newer series' that I have dabbled in and am current in it is much easier, just pick up the new book and keep current. But, to look at a nine book series and just jump right in makes no sense to me ...

So, I will read the second book of Jack Whyte's Templar Trilogy. I will read the fifth Earth's Children book if it ever comes out. I will continue Clive Barker's Abarat series this summer. The third Eragon book is a given.

If someday my reading list allows it, maybe another series that is already established ... just not right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment