Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Yo! Adrian!

Yo! Adrian!

(This is an open letter to Seattle Sounders and MLS Seattle owner Adrian Hanauer)

The way the Sounders franchise has been run since you took over the franchise in 2002 is something that deserves to be commented on and commended for.

I look at how various sports franchises are run and compare that to the Sounders and I can't help but think how much better off the Mariners would be. The M's have an amazing facility and solid revenue streams yet seem very content to be okay and not go after the Angels in the AL West. There seems to be a very complacent culture that has taken over there. Not so with the Sounders.

Yes, you have had to work within the realities and confines of being in USL-1 and the constraints that reality places upon you. However, the Sounders franchise has seemed to be a magnet for players that want to win, be showcased for bigger stages, and for those that wish to develop. The Sounders have managed to consistently find and develop young talent and hold onto solid players that like being here. There is evidence that there is a winning culture in the current organization. Given that it appears from the outside that the future MLS Seattle franchise will be manned by many people associated with the current Sounders franchise I feel it bodes well.

For years I have argued with friends that the simple fact that there is a Major League Soccer and Seattle was not in it was the primary reason for the attendance figures seems to be playing out to be true. I have never felt it was a coincidence how many more people would show up to see the Sounders with very short notice for Open Cup matches involving MLS teams. Seattle fans are many things; prissy, spoiled, etc ... but they also really only support what they consider to be big league teams in a big way. Other sports franchises can find their niche and survive and the Sounders fell into this category. The reported numbers are 11K+ of season tickets deposits in a very short time. These people all knew about the Sounders, they just would not go to the USL. Sad, but true.

There are those that question Qwest Field as a long-term solution. Qwest is huge and not the model that MLS teams seem to be going for. But, Qwest was built for soccer and the place is very loud when 10K show up to see the Sounders play FC Dallas. I would prefer a 25K venue myself, but I cannot imagine how it would be built in the political climate so prevalent in this region. Take the upper decks off and it would be perfect ...

In regards to the name Sounders ... I have a fond affection for the name. I really do. But ... let's face it, the arguments for starting with a new brand name are just as strong as the arguments for keeping it. The notion of a fresh start is valid so I will not be upset with the name Sounders being retired. I will be sad to not be going to Sounders games per se ... but I went to Stars, Storm, and Seadogs games too. I'll get past it.

There is one thing though that is really bothering me. I saw the MLS Seattle bus ad the other day and I had to cringe. "The World's Sport" marketing gimmick has been a failure in this country for decades. It actually feeds the anti-soccer fire much more than it brings in people. Everyone knows soccer is big elsewhere and those that hate the game actually point to that and use it as an example of why it should not be big here. Tell the marketing people to try and come up with something better than a slogan that failed for the NASL. I still have my "Sport of the 80's" NASL poster ...

In any event. I was excited to be there at the George & Dragon and listen to the announcement, shake your partners' hands, and finally feel a surge of optimism ... good luck ... I look forward to 2008, even as 2009 looms large ...

2 comments:

  1. Well said! *sigh* are you ever going to post over on GoalSeattle? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. GS-1 ... yes I will ... I have needed to get some things done this winter and now am back up and running ... I have something in mind for GoalSeattle ....

    ReplyDelete