Saturday, January 19, 2008

Sherman Alexie, Clive Barker and Chris Jericho


Sherman Alexie, Clive Barker and Chris Jericho

Author events are really a hit or miss phenomena. A writer that enjoys the public side of the business of writing and things are great with the crowd is worth seeing. If you get one that really only is enduring it, then it is not so much fun.

Recently, I had the good fortune of listening to, meeting, and getting books signed by three writers in a short period of time. All three of these guys are interesting and even charismatic, so the events were well worth my time.

Chris Jericho is indeed that Chris Jericho, the pro wrestler. He is a great promo guy (meaning he can talk and make you listen). He also wrote a book about breaking into and clawing his way up the pro wrestling ladder to the big time. I look forward to reading it, because I haven't yet, but will soon. He was funny, great with the crowd just like in the ring, and seemed like a genuinely good guy. He threw us a lot of hints about his comeback to the ring, which occurred about a week after this signing ... and, he signed my Wrestlemania XIX program ...

Clive Barker is one of the most interesting readings or speakers I have ever seen. He has this deep gravelly voice with a think English accent. Instead of simply reading from his most recent novel (Mister B. Gone is quite good) he simply opened the floor to questions from the audience about any of his works. His answers were ... interesting. At one point I summoned the courage to get up and ask him a question; one about spiritual themes and alternative takes on conventionally accepted roles of religious figures ... and he went on very excited about my question, looking me in the eye for what turned out to be about eight minutes. My brother whispered, "Is he still answering your question?" and I did not feel like I could break eye contact to answer him with something other than and light nod and grunt. And he signed my copy the The Hellbound Heart, too ...

And then there was Sherman Alexie, who actually came first as this list is in reverse order of when I saw them somehow ... Sherman was joined by artist Ellen Forney for a discussion of his award winning novel, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian. Sherman is clearly comfortable in front of a crowd and did a nice job of creating a monologue using the materials in the novel. I had to wait until near the end of the autograph signing to get mine signed, but it was pretty cool to discuss the closure of The Combine in Pullman with him, since I saw him read poetry there when we were both at Wazzu ... Go Cougs!

No comments:

Post a Comment