Saturday, January 12, 2008

Taking over the Big Screen ...

Taking over the Big Screen ...

Why I like Arena Football ... (Ephemera Project tangent)

I broke my ankle on August 8, 1993. I know this for two reasons; first of all because it had a huge impact on me, and second because it was my first wedding anniversary. Not long afterwards we went on a family trip to Reno. My folks used to love to go to Reno. But, I had this huge cast on my foot and was on crutches. So, Ron and I decided to head down to the sports book and watch some tv and bet on a game or two.

It turned out that it was Arena Bowl time and the game was on cable and there was a point spread. We each picked a team, plunked five bucks down each and took over the large screen in the middle of the viewing area. We had bet on the game, it was early, we were the only guys there and so the tv was ours. As the game progressed and other sporting events kicked off or whatever and more people joined us, the other tvs came into use. A few guys complained about what was on, but the sports book would not change the channel since we were there first and were betting on the game. I remember a lot of grumbling, but I also remember a number of guys watching and joining us. It was cool.

I had to look up Arena Bowl 1993 (all hail the google!) in order to find that the Tampa Bay Storm beat the Detroit Drive 51-31. If memory serves I won as I had Tampa and the points.

I have managed to attend a grand total of three arena football games, but only because there was a team in Everett for three seasons. On none of my other - albeit few and far between - trips have I managed to attend a game.



Everett Hawks (@EEC) - (06/07 AFL2 - 05 NIFL)
06.23.07 vs. Arkansas Twisters - (L) 60-64
04.30.06 vs. Central Valley Coyotes - (L) - 41-60
04.21.05 vs. Tri-Cities Fever - (W) - 64-62

No comments:

Post a Comment