Friday, January 26, 2007

A.P.E.S. ... a definition (of sorts)

Although it is not listed in any dictionary that can be properly referenced for academic work I give you the following word and defintion ...

A.P.E.S. - Advanced Placement English Students from Mountlake Terrace High School

As a teacher I see a lot of students and classes. As a student I had hundreds of classmates and dozens of classes. Few of those classes were really noteworthy. I keep in touch with a very small percentage of those former classmates and have had a hard time recognizing or remembering many of those classmates at reunions. I can recall teachers telling me the same thing; that there are good classes and bad classes, good students and bad students, but few that really stand out to be remembered or kept in touch with.

The A.P.E.S. OF 85 are a rather interesting group of people. We have had ongoing and regular reunions that have become events like a retirement party for our teacher, included other teachers, brought in more classmates than just A.P.E.S. themselves (we include those fortunate enough to know A.P.E.S.), had people fly in to attend, is peripheral to paulsbasement.org, and led to a manhunt for the few we could not find (we now know where everyone is).

If it is true that the people we choose to surround ourselves with reflects our values, then i am lucky.

I post this here because I, on occassion, mention the A.P.E.S. in other posts and writings. This can be a reference point.

No comments:

Post a Comment