Saturday, January 20, 2007

The Kingdome R.I.P. (Redux) ...




The Kingdome R.I.P. (Redux)

(As I have moved more toward using this blog and less toward the old site on Tripod, I have decided to update and revise some of the pages and repost them here ...)

This is my little tribute to the ugliest stadium ever built.

It (was) loud, cold, ugly, and difficult, which is why it was the greatest home field advantage ever in football. Qwest Field is loud, but the Kingdome made the NFL change its rules.

I scored my first goal there in a 1979 Sounders pre-game.

I saw The Rolling Stones twice (1981 & 1997). I also saw Paul McCartney, Van Halen (Sammy era), and Metallica.

In 1978 I was an "Honorary Batkid" for the Seattle Mariners. This was a Herfy's promotion. I will always remember my brother sliding on his bike up at the playfield to tell me that I had one the opportunity. I had my picture taken with Craig Reynolds, but it never came in the mail.

Over the years I saw the US National Team play a World Cup Qualifier (against Canada in 1976)and a couple of exhibition games against the Soviets (79) and Russia(94). There were numerous Sounders (even one indoor), Sonics, and a half dozen Seahawks games. I saw Nolan Ryan's last inning in 1993, the NASL Soccer Bowl in 1976, two Mariners opening nights, the Final Four in 1984, Pele and the Cosmos in 1977, and Reggie Lewis' final trip to Seattle with the Celtics in 1992(while listening to the second half of the Copper Bowl.

I voted against it's destruction. Even though I enjoy Qwest Field, there still is not a grass field there as promised to the soccer fans that put the ballot measure over the top. I am still convinced the stadium should be standing.

There are 3 chunks of the Kingdome in with my Sounders stuff in my living room.

No comments:

Post a Comment