Thursday, January 25, 2007

The Ephemera Project

Ephemera - Printed "Ephemera" is material like tickets, flyers, programs, menus, schedules, or anything that is printed for immediate use that is not intended to be needed beyond that immediate use.

I recently discovered this word while reading the Washington State Magazine Winter 2006-07 issue, an article on page 11 titled "When Trash Reveals History: The world of printed ephemera at Oxford" by Trevor Bond. I intend to study this topic further as it is a great way to study popular culture from various periods of time.

I have always collected ephemera and have a rather extensive number of scrapbooks covered with stickers and full of ticket stubs and flyers, as well as a large number of old programs from sports and other events. Some stuff has been lost over the years, but the volume of the material is quite extensive. I am also quite thankful I have taken so many pictures over the years. As a part of the Oxymoron Project I was using the scrapbook material to develop lists of my soccer games and experiences and decided to try and chronicle and document all of it into lists and indexes in order to figure out just what I have attended and who I have seen. With the help of "The Internets", media guides, library newspaper microfiche, and my own memory, I have compiled a good deal of material that I have already begun to post on this site. It is for my own benefit more than anything else, but lists are fun and some people like them and I have this blog so I am using it.

The lists will include postings chronicling sporting events like hockey games, football, women's hoops, pro wrestling, minor league baseball, Major League Baseball, live theatre, and others. Some information is still needed to complete some of these entries and as it becomes unearthed I will post updates as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment