Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Today I am almost XL ... (aka 39 1/2)

Waitresses and 7-11 clerks in various locations wear all sorts of buttons about ID.
I have seen buttons like ...

"You have such a baby face"

... or ...

"I'd card your mother"

... and my favorite is at Red Robin ...

"We card under 39 1/2" ...

Today, I turn 39 1/2. It is the last birthday I plan to celebrate. I know ...
I know ... I KNOW ...

I will continue to age ...

When asked my age I will honest and tell them the truth. This is not vanity. I have just cared little in the past for birthday celebrations and really haven't done anything about my birthday in years. I didn't even go out dancing this summer.

But, see ...

10 meant I was double digits
13 meant I was a teenager
16 meant I could drive
18 meant I could vote and registered for the draft
19 meant legal to drink in Idaho
21 meant legal to drink in Washington
35 meant I could run for POTUS

... other than just marking time, social security, reaching life expectancy, or getting senior discounts, there really isn't anything noteworthy upcoming. 39 1/2 means Red Robin won't card me, so this seems like as good a time as any to stop celebrating and just use my birthday to mark time.

40? XL? A U2 Song? (see blog entry from September about this same topic)

I guess it is the new 30 ...

No comments:

Post a Comment