Thursday, January 18, 2007

Hockey List (Ephemera Project) ...



Hockey List (Ephemera Project) ...

This is a listing of material that is part of my effort to catalog ephemera that I have retained over the years. I will also have a football, pro wrestling, live theatre, and other sports lists that I will post here. The decision to post it all on the blog is just for the purpose of documentation. I will try to add anecdotes and details about these games and maybe add photos as I go. The recent Top Ten list of college basketball games was the first of this ephemera project. It sort of is a dual track of research with the Oxymoron project as I was running across this stuff at the same time so I decided to document it as well.

This is a limited listing of games I have been to, but is pretty close to everything. I have only attended WHL minor league and Olympic matches, never an NHL game, which really needs to change and is kind of inexcusable given that Vancouver is so close. Much of my ephemera pre-1990 is fairly limited. I remember going to a couple of Seattle Breakers and Thunderbirds games with my dad and with Bob in the late 70s to the mid 80s against teams like the New Westminster Bruins at Mercer Arena, but have limited information on those games. The list includes only the games for which I have ticket stubs post-1990. It doesn’t make much sense to make a Top Ten list when I really haven’t been to that many memorable games. Hockey is fun, and some of the games have been more fun than others, but it doesn’t stick with me like other sports. I have not got all of the scores at this point, but it is a pretty good list, all things considered.

SLC Olympics
(The photos on this posting are a montage from the SLC Olympics)

2.12.02 United States (W) vs. Germany – 10-0 – First Round Pool Play – E Center – The US scored more goals than the Germans took shots on goal, so the US could have played without a goalie and won. The security for our double header was very intricate, as this was very shortly post-911. We had to exit the building and go through the entire line again security again.

2.12.02 Austria vs. Slovakia – 3-2 – First Round Pool Play – E Center – Ron and I decided to root for Slovakia since there were a number of very attractive Slovakian women sitting in front of us, which is as good of a reason as any. Satan was supposed to have played for Slovakia, but did not. Mike Eruzione and Jaromir Jagr were in attendance. The game was 1-1 with 10 shots each after one. The game was 2-2 with 20 shots each after two. The game was 3-2 with 30 shots for Austria and 29 for Slovakia after three.

Everett Silvertips

1.8.06 vs. Kamloops Blazers - 4-5 (L) – EEC – w/Ron – Tying goal called back upon review very late in the game. Took Ron for Xmas.

12.17.03 vs. Tri-City Americans – 1-1 (T) – EEC – w/Tim – Inaugural season present from the kids.

Spokane Chiefs

1.7.98 vs. Portland Winter Hawks – Spokane Arena

3.16.97 vs. Tri-City Americans – Spokane Arena – w/Jacob as a baby enjoying the spectacle until the Chiefs scored and everyone cheered, then he was unhappy.

2.16.91 vs. Victoria Cougars – (Old Spokane Coliseum) – w/Larry – Then I walked to the Opera House and enjoyed a free concert from Blue Oyster Cult the same night.

1.23.91 vs. Seattle Thunderbirds – (Old Spokane Coliseum) – Apparently the Thunderbirds bus had caught fire on the way over and the players had to escape through the windows. The game nearly did not take place.

Tacoma Rockets

1.23.93 vs. Prince Albert Raiders – Tacoma Dome – I have the pennant from the Red Robin giveaway that night, the final was 6-3 in favor of Tacoma, which tied a single season home consecutive home victories streak for in the WHL.

Seattle Thunderbirds

12.15.01 vs. Saskatoon Blades – Key Arena - A birthday present for someone.

2.27.99 vs. Kamloops Blazers – Key Arena

2.3.98 vs. Edmonton Ice – Key Arena – w/Ron using tickets he got from work.

9.26.92 vs. Portland Winter Hawks – Seattle Center Coliseum - Home opener with Ron and Richard.

1.2.91 vs. Moose Jaw Warriors – Mercer Arena

“Game 18” 1985-86 Season – Seattle vs. ??? (possibly Kamloops, as I have photos from a game in that time period that look like the opposing team is Kamloops)

12.29.85 vs. Victoria Cougars

I also had a “Burn the Blazers” playoffs tee from 1986 that I am pretty sure Bob got for me. I cannot specifically remember if I went to those playoffs with him, or if I just intended to and couldn’t.

Seattle Breakers

I attended a handful of games for the Seattle Breakers in the late 70s and early 80s, but I have no ephemera or specific games that I recall. I do remember seeing the New Westminster Bruins, for some reason, once or twice. I can remember going with my dad and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment