Friday, January 26, 2007

"It's nothing more than ordinary life ... "


There is a song on the Cruel Intentions Soundtrack titled "Ordinary Life" that I frequently have playing on my Myspace page. It's a moody, cool number that I really enjoy by a singer named Kristen Barry. (I don't do a lot with the Myspace page, but I do try and keep a song I like playing and a few pics up.)

"Ordinary Life" is not just up on the page because I like it.

In 1990, I was a long-haired recent college graduate spending the Spring and Summer of the year as Editor In Chief of City Heat Magazine. City Heat was a decent little mag trying to chronicle the "Seattle Music Scene" of the time. I was lucky in what I got to witness first hand; future millionaires, future rock martyrs, and talented folks who never made it.

Kristen Barry was the subject of a feature article I was writing one month. I saw her play a show at the Central Tavern. She was amazing; talented, graceful, and beautiful. I will fully admit to being distracted. We met for an interview at a coffee shop, but moved on to Greenlake since it was a beautiful day. I remember sitting there on the grass with her, discussing music and her future in it.

Later, I was working on the article at my apartment and my fiance saw her photo and remembered that I had recently spent the day at Greenlake, that was not pleasant. She could tell that my attention was being diverted. However, I am a decent guy and no overtures were ever made (as if I should assume such overtures would have been welcomed).

The article was not properly proofed and her name was misspelled in a number of places. As Editor In Chief that was even worse since it was my article. I sent a note of apology to her agent. That was the end of the matter.

Over the years I still had the demo tape of four songs I had received, but never got it back from a coworker I can no longer find.

Recently, I found a copy of her 1998 release and discovered the "Ordinary Life" song on Myspace. The material is as good as I would have hoped for and look forward to any future releases she might eventually give us.

1 comment: