Thursday, January 25, 2007

David Vanole RIP

David Vanole RIP

Eight overtimes.

It doesn't matter the sport, but overtimes rarely get to 3, on rare occassions to 4, but 8 is just ridiculous, especially in a sudden death situation.

In 1985 UCLA played American University in the NCAA Soccer Championships in the Kingdome in Seattle. The final score that day was 1-0, UCLA winning on a goal in the 167th minute. The NCAA did not have a PK system in place at the time so the overtimes just kept a coming, ten minute chunk after ten minute chunk. The final whistle finally came on the 167th minute goal. the NCAA now has a PK system. So, for all of you that hate PK's, and that is basically all of us, this game is why they are NECESSARY.

American University fans were warned over the PA that their plane was leaving on several occassions, but they stayed. Not many other people did. I stayed in my seat in one of the endzones for the entire game. I was tired just watching it. And, despite the 1-0 scoreline, this was not a dull game; crossbars were hit, players were ejected, and the ball kept moving. American had the Coach of the Year and a Player of the Year. UCLA had a future USMNT coach as an assistant and Paul Caligiuri on the field.

Also, USMNT goalie David Vanole was in the nets. A 167 minute shutout is like a 17 inning shutout in baseball. I also saw Vanole, albeit in a reserve role, when I saw the USMNT play at Italia 90. Vanole is a part of a long lineage of solid UNMNT goalies over the decades.

David Vanole died January 15.

I never met the man. But, when I heard he passed I thought back to the night of December 14, 1985 and the amazing game I witnessed. I wish his family well.

No comments:

Post a Comment